regularly attends a number of conferences and seminars in Malta and abroad on Family Law, Child Law, Civil Law and Criminal Law to keep herself abreast, thus being
capable of giving a top-notch up to date legal service. These conferences, seminars and
training seminars include those organized by the Malta Chamber of Advocates, University of Leicester, by
the Commissioner for Children, by the Ministry for Social Policy, by the
Cana Movement, by the National Commission for the Protection of Equality (NCPE), by the Commission on
Domestic Violence, by NGOs such as Aditus and by international organisations such as the ICCFR - the International Commission on
Couple and Family Relations, and LEPCA - Lawyers in Europe on Parental Child Abduction and the International Commission of Jurists (ICJ) where she attended a four-day seminar including a seminar at the Office of the United Nations High Commission for Human Rights. She also attended debates on Family Law at the Social Affairs Committee meetings.
Dr Mangion annually attends professional development courses to broaden her legal knowledge and approach.
She has also been asked to give her expert opinion on Family Law by various local and foreign institutions.
She is regularly invited as guest speaker on a number of radio and television programmes.
She has published academic papers and articles on leading peer-reviewed journals.
She has been an LL.D thesis examiner and supervisor and is an LL.B (Hons) thesis and research project examiner, and is a casual visiting lecturer at the University of Malta.
Academic Qualifications and Professional Associations
- LL.B (Bachelor of Laws) (University of Malta).
- Dip.Not.Pub. (Diploma of Notary Public) (University of Malta).
- LL.M (Lond.) (Master in Family Law) (Queen Mary and UCL) (University of London)
- M.A. Mat. Can. Law (Melit.) (University of Malta).
- LL.D (Doctor of Laws)(University of Malta).
- Ph.D (University of Leicester)
- ELSA Telders Moot Court Competition.
- Admitted to the Maltese Bar.
- Member of the Malta Chamber of Advocates.
- Member of the Socio-Legal Studies Association (UK).
- Past member of the Adoption Board.
- Former Judicial Assistant.
- Forensic Science and Criminal Justice (University of Leicester)
- Ann Marie Mangion, 'Confidentiality and Treatment of Young People: Proposals for Amendment 1' in Kevin Aquilina, Peter Mallia and Bridgit Ellul (eds), Contemporary Issues in Medical Law & Ethics: Conference Proceedings 2012-2015 (University of Malta 2017).
- Ann Marie Mangion, 'Confidentiality and Treatment of Young Adults. Proposals for Amendments: the Gillick Proposition', Journal of the Malta College of Family Doctors, (Vol. 4, Issue 1, May 2015).
- Hamid Reza Salehi and Ann Marie Mangion, 'Legal Aspects of Cosmetic and Plastic Surgery', International Journal of Advanced Studies in Humanities and Social Science. (Int J Adv Stu Hum Soci Scie. 2014; 2(2):111-115.)
- Ann Marie Mangion, 'What's in a Surname?' Child, The Magazine for Parents, The Times, Issue 31, September 10, 2011, pp. 62-63.
- Ann Marie Mangion, Competency and Best Interests of the Child Relating to Health Issues - A Maltese and International Legal Perspective' (Feb 2010) VDM Verlag, Germany.
- Ann Marie Mangion, 'The Financial Aspect of Family Law' Bank of Valletta Review, No. 45, Spring 2012, pp. 109-121.
- Doriana Bezzina et al, Draft National Children's Policy, MEEF.
- Articles in The Times of Malta.
- Articles at KidsMalta.com
- Raphael Vassallo of Malta Today interviewed Dr Mangion regarding child abuse.
Television and Radio
- 'Realtajiet tal-Lum' on RTK Radio Station, discussing the legal situation of single mothers and unknown fathers;
- 'Dilemma Etika' a radio programme on the University of Malta's station, Campus FM, discussing medical ethics, treatment orders and parental consent;
- 'Ghandi xi Nghid' on Radju Malta discussing the theme of adoption by single persons; medical competence; the new judicial and legal reforms; internet safety and peadophilia; justice and the media; the family and children's views;
- 'Trijangolu' on Campus FM, a radio programme on the University of Malta's station discussing the draft National Children's Policy;
- 'Bongu' a morning programme on TVM discussing certain aspects of family law; '
- Dissett' a current affairs programme on TVM discussing the Family Court and divorce;
- 'Xarabank' on TVM as a guest speaker discussing Giga's case where Giga was found guilty of murdering her son;
- 'Iswed fuq l-Abjad' on Net TV discussing the draft National Children's Policy and children's rights;
- 'Sellili' on TVM discussing the Maltese family within legal terms;
- 'Rifless' on One TV discussing the Guardianship Bill vis-a-vis interdiction;
- 'TVAM' a morning programme on TVM discussing maintenance and visitation rights; and incapacitation;
- 'Persjani' a current affairs programme organised by TVM's newsroom on TVM discussing adoption;
- 'TVPM' a mid-afternoon programme on TVM discussing paternity suits and single mothers; children's rights; the rights of the unborn child and maternity rights; and parental quarrels and children;
- 'Ten01' on Net TV discussing infidelity;
- 'Skjetti' an evening current affairs programme on TVM discussing children's rights;
- 'Ghazliet' a radio programme on Campus FM discussing children's rights;
- 'Ghazliet' a radio programme on Radio 101 discussing gay parenting; the new cohabitation law; family law; sexual harassment;
- 'Attwali', a current affairs programme on FLiving TV discussing criminal responsibility amongst minors.
- 'Il-Ligi u l-Familja' a legal radio programme on Radio RTK discussing various family law topics.
Seminars & Training Sessions
- In 2018 Dr Mangion attended a public lecture on gender quotas in Ireland organised by the Faculty of Social Well-being, University of Malta.
- In 2017 Dr Mangion attended a 5 day seminar organised by the International Commission of Jurists (ICJ) on immigrant children's access to justice as part of the FAIR Project in Ferney-Voltaire and Geneva.
- In 2017 Dr Mangion attended a speech by Dontilla Mukame on genocidal rape in Rwanda organised by the Festival of Research 2017 at the University of Leicester.
- In 2017 Dr Mangion attended a two day seminar organised by Aditus entitled, 'Fostering Access to Immigrant Children's Rights (FAIR)'.
- In 2016 Dr Mangion attended a seminar organised by LEPCA (Lawyers in Europe on Parental Abduction) on European Case-Law.
In 2016 Dr Mangion attended a seminar on Act No. IV of 2016 -Amendments Civil Procedure organised by the Chamber of Advocates.
In 2016 Dr Mangion attended a seminar on the New Procedural Rules on the Declaration of Nullity organised by the Chamber of Advocates.
In 2015 Dr Mangion attended a seminar on Forms of Violence in Malta - A Gender Perspective organised by the NCPE.
In 2015 Dr Mangion gave a 4 part series of training sessions on Sexual Abuse and Volunary Organisations.
In 2011 Dr Mangion attended a two day conference on Domestic Violence.
In 2011 Dr Mangion attended a seminar on Divorce Law organised by the Chamber of Advocates.
Dr Mangion was a speaker in the seminar 'Confidentiality and Treatment of Young Adults: Proposals for Amendments', organised by the Bioethics Research Programme of the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery in collaboration with the Medicine and Law Programme of the Faculty of Laws, University of Malta & Office of the Commissioner for Children.
Between 2011-2015 Dr Mangion regularly gave training sessions to social workers on Family Law
- In 2010 Dr Mangion chaired a seminar on Child and Health Law as part of the Manifesto for Children Seminars (Malta's Commissioner for Children)
- In 2010 Dr Mangion attended a three day conference organised by the ICCFR - the International Commission on Couple and Family Relations entitled, 'Empowering Families as Sustainable Partners in Social Policy'
- Maltese (native)
- English (native)
- Italian (fluent)
- French (working knowledge)